Korean Random
Sign in to follow this  
leeuniverse

Official Definition Needed.... "Unicums" are only "Overall" or both Overall AND/OR "Recent"?

I have always understood that Unicums are anyone Purple, no matter if overall or recent, recent simply indicating "current" skill level/performance.

But, I have some people telling me only if your "Overall" is showing Purple, being your actual skill, thus Unicum or otherwise.

To me that makes no sense.  Your "past" isn't your current skill level.  Thus, a person reaching Unicum in recent is by definition to me a Unicum (unless stat-padding with a couple of tanks like the crappy ELC).

Further, the XVM scale includes the ratings for both overall and recent.

If XVM was only classifying "overall" as being Unicum or otherwise, then they wouldn't indicate recent/aka current skill/performance.

So which is it?

• Downvote 1

Short link

unicum=purple=.1% of players by a particular rating (overall or gtfo)

the reason is quite simple and has little to do with anyone's personal views or elitism: the derivation of a rating's formula is usually based on players' overall data (recent is problematic to acquire and xvm doesn't show it anywhere). the distribution of players based on recent results would be completely different. i.e. you might need to pull 2.8k recent to be in .1%.

• Upvote 1

Short link

Okay....  So, your saying that even if a person is Purple in Recent, they are not a "Unicum"?

For example, most WN8 stats websites like WOTLABS, etc. show recent aka last 30 days or 1000 battles, whichever first as being ones "recent" skill level.

So, do people who get purple in Recent classify as Unicums also, or just those who have overalls as purple?

To me purple is purple.....  as long as your recent is "consistent" purple, then you're a Unicum also.

Would this be correct?

For example, looking at your Signature your recent is Purple, thus to me you're a Unicum.

Anyway, I'm looking for the "Official" definition.  Do you work for the XVM people?

Edited by leeuniverse

Short link

Anyway, I'm looking for the "Official" definition

In XVM words "Purple" and "Unicum" is equal. But XVM does not have statistics on recent battles, so XVM does not have color scale for recent battles. If XVM will introduce statistics on recent battles, the color scale will not match the scale for all battles.

Purple in XVM = top 0.1% from all players with 1000+ battles on account.

If XVM will introduce statistics on recent battles, Purple for recent battles will be top 0.1% from all recent 1000 battles sessions.

• Upvote 1

Short link

Hey seriych.....  Sorry to bother you again.

While I believe I understand what you have said, some other people don't, they are taking different interpretations from what you've said and they have gone to war against me over it.

So, I want to clarify.....

You are saying ultimately, Purple is Unicum, no matter if recent or overall stats, correct?

I do understand that XVM doesn't officially support recent, that it's third party processers that do that.

But, you are saying that even though you don't have recent currently, recent in the way you would do it, those who are Purples in Recent are also Unicums, correct?

Let me give you a real world example.....

My signature above/below indicates WOTLABS.net's algorythm for Recent WN8.

It seems to work similar to how you have indicated.....  "last 1000 games played, WN8 accordingly"  Is that correct?

So, if I was Purple in my recent instead of blue as it is above/below.  You looking at it right now.  Would you say those who have Purple in Recent in the above/below image ARE in fact Unicums?

Or are not Unicums?

In my view, Purple is Purple, recent or overall it doesn't matter, you are playing at Unicum level play.

Other people are strongly hating on me for believing that, and saying I'm wrong.

What is your view?

Thank you again for your time.

Edited by leeuniverse

Short link

You are saying ultimately, Purple is Unicum, no matter if recent or overall stats, correct?

No, I say:

XVM does not have color scale for recent battles

And:

If XVM will introduce statistics on recent battles, the color scale will not match the scale for all battles.

For example now purple by wn8 is 2620+. If we'll collect statistics on resent battles, top 0.1% will be for example 3000+ and purple for recent battles will be 3000+.

* Now we do not have the technical ability to collect this statistic, so scale for the recent battles will not appear in XVM for a long time.

Edited by seriych

Short link

Okay, thank you....  I understand now.

Question....

Why is there a need to do a "separate" color scale for recent?  Can't you just grab the last 1000 battles and that shows ones progress or not progressing, like the same way the Wotlabs signature does for example?

I mean, the only difference in my mind between Recent and Overall is simply sample size......  Why do you think you need to create a sparate scale?

Recent would simply be showing the progress compared to overall with the last 1000 battles sample size, like the Wotlabs signature does.

Yes, the difference like in your example would be 2620 compared to 3000..... but the 3000 simply shows the difference, the progress.

No new "scale" has to be created in my mind?

You can easily simply create an algorythm to simply grap the last 1000 battles like all the various stats site do, can't you?

This is why I don't understand why you haven't implimented Recent already?  No need for a new scale, you're just showing the difference, ones current play compared to overall.

It works in reverse also.....  I've seen some people who have either bought someones account, or they have given the account to their children or a friend, and their recent is actually WORSE than their Overall.... LOL

So, I don't get the need for a new "scale".  Just impliment Recent as it is, it clearly works.  Yes, it's not 100% as accurate as Overall, but it's clearly within a reasonable margin of error?

Thanks again.  :)

p.s. Forgot to clarify something else, like I mentioned, I know XVM doesn't do "recent" stats.....

I just need to know if those who are Purple in recent can be considered also "Unicums"?

They show as purples, so aren't they also technically Unicums in their "current" play?

Edited by leeuniverse
  • Downvote 1

Short link

Why is there a need to do a "separate" color scale for recent?

Because if ask this question to you: "How many players play good at WoT?" you call a certain number or percentage. Any ratings - is an attempt to show you these players, which you call good. And the number of these players should be the same, no matter what rating used. And it will be the same only if the recent scale will be different.

You should not see 1% purple players by one rating, and 50% by other rating.

You can easily simply create an algorythm to simply grap the last 1000 battles like all the various stats site do, can't you?

No. Sites update statistics by 100-200k players and show only a few players per second. XVM must update 25M (25000k) players and show ~500 requests per second (500*30 = 15000 users per second). It's "little" not the same :-) It is possible in the future, but:

will not appear in XVM for a long time.

I just need to know if those who are Purple in recent can be considered also "Unicums"?

XVM does not have statistics on recent battles, so XVM does not have color scale for recent battles

So in XVM any recent result will be white/grey color and undefined skill

What about other sites? You can ask question there.

Edited by seriych

Short link