Korean Random
Mindstorm38

Has network protocol been documented?

Hello,

I'm wondering if there was any attempt to document the network protocol used by WoT? I know that there is a WIP mod being developed to make a fake server, but I can't find any "centralized" or community effort to revert the protocol.

Short link

@SkepticalFox I would like to make a backend crate in Rust, the goal is not to make a server (with all the complicated things like physics), but rather to define packet structures and provides a packet codec. It has no use case for now, but who knows in the future?

Edited by Mindstorm38

Short link

Thank you @yepev for the link.

I also found https://github.com/v2v3v4/BigWorld-Engine-2.0.1, which is really old (2012, when WG acquired the engine) and likely not the same at all today. But the protocol core principle could be the same today (edit: fully obsolete). I will try to play with the login process later to guess how much the protocol have changed, I'll also compare it with the disassembled '.exe'.

EDIT1: I first thought these sources were obsolete, but I can actually find some structure looking like "LogOnParams" or "ServerConnection" (src/lib/connection) from my disassembly of WoT 1.14.

Edited by Mindstorm38
EDIT1

Short link