Korean Random
arjunkumar

Dangling Pointer in C?

Hello Everyone, I am preparing for my upcoming interview which is c language based. I want to know concept of dangling pointer in C? and In how many ways can a pointer act as a Dangling Pointer? When A pointer is pointing to a memory location, and a B pointer deletes the memory occupied by the A pointer, then the A pointer still points to the memory location? So Can anyone know about it and explains to me with some examples of dangling pointer.

Short link

Dangling pointers arise when an object is deleted or de-allocated, without modifying the value of the pointer, so that the pointer still points to the memory location of the de-allocated memory. In short pointer pointing to non-existing memory location is called dangling pointer. 

Example:

#include<stdlib.h>
{
    char *ptr = malloc(Constant_Value);
    free (ptr);      /* ptr now becomes a dangling pointer */
}

Short link

Dangling Pointer occurs when a pointer pointing to a variable goes out of scope or when an object/variable's memory gets deallocated. Also, the occurrence of Dangling Pointers can result in some unexpected errors during the execution of a program, so we have to make sure to avoid them while writing a program.

mobdro

myfiosgateway.one

Edited by teempade04

Short link