Korean Random
timbo2410

What the cause is for game crashes?

Trying to work out exactly what the cause is for game crashes and XVM suddenly not working in game. I can run WOT without issue and no crashes without mods activated. But if I use XVM I get random crashes. If I look in task manager it shows 2 instances of WOT running at the same time. On occasions i cant even get out of the frozen game and have to do a hard reset of PC. I have done a re-install of the game from fresh on a new system and still it happens. System is overclocked and totally stable. All temps are fine . Can somebody guide me in trouble shooting please. Oh, I forgot to mention, when I log in on the XVM page, I can sign in just fine, but if i refresh the page it shows that I am not logged in ?? Anything to do with it?

Win 10 x64

Mobo: Asus Maximus 10 extreme

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz

Ram: 16gb DDR4 3600mhz

GPU: Asus Strix gtx 1080ti

HDD: 3 x 1tb SSD

Edited by timbo2410

Short link

just worked it out .. all instances are marked as false?

Is it possible that the game crashes and immediately restarts (or tries to) and it then looks like there are two instances of it running?

Short link

ok I'm tired of this now .. I could quite easily just get rid of WOT .. 3600 hps's up in a game and only 3 left to kill .. game crashes just as i get spotted and then hit and I can't do a thing .. somebody please help me to troubleshoot .. I have deleted game .. done fresh installs .. installed on a new system .. I can't figure out why it is doing it. .. any ideas to find the cause are most welcome .. 

system specs are above and I am running fast fibre broadband. I have checked to see  if it connection and it appears fine .. PC system can handle WOT with ease .. overclock is fine .. why does it still keep doing it ?????

Short link

that's the problem .. it has been happening over the past year ...!!!!!!! it doesn't matter what patch or update comes along .. it is always the same problem !!! If "I" am doing something wrong then I need to learn "WHAT" it is to correct it .. "IF" i need to problem solve then that is what I need to do .. surely somebody can help me learn ?? I don't know what I am doing wrong but so far it seems easy .. install WOT on a fresh PC .. install XVM .. Run Aslains XVM .. play game . if I am doing something wrong then please .. please .. for the love of god .. tell me what it is .. or at least tell me how to problem solve it ... 

Short link

Try:

- not running Aslain's XVM, but using the default configs

- disabling markers.xc because that's what the XVM team recommends to avoid crashes in the current patch

• Upvote 1

Short link

I have tried running a fresh install with either no mods at all (vanilla), or just with XVM or with aslains XVM .. all give crashes .. yesterday for the firs time I was getting a windows error ?? This is the third system I have run with the same problem. I also have it on an old i7 930 that has run both win7 and win 10 and the issue is repeated. So it's not just one system or setup that is causing the problem. So I looked into the internet connection .. have since moved to Sky fibre and it's rock steady .. so that's not the cause .. I looked at the way I installed everything to see if that is the common factor .. but with fresh installs on a clean system with vanilla version I still get the problem .. how do i troubleshoot from here on in ?

Short link
32 minutes ago, timbo2410 said:

I have tried running a fresh install with either no mods at all (vanilla), or just with XVM or with aslains XVM .. all give crashes .. yesterday for the firs time I was getting a windows error ?? This is the third system I have run with the same problem. I also have it on an old i7 930 that has run both win7 and win 10 and the issue is repeated. So it's not just one system or setup that is causing the problem. So I looked into the internet connection .. have since moved to Sky fibre and it's rock steady .. so that's not the cause .. I looked at the way I installed everything to see if that is the common factor .. but with fresh installs on a clean system with vanilla version I still get the problem .. how do i troubleshoot from here on in ?

scyorkie above, gave the proposed solution. Are you running your config with markers enabled? If so, disable them in markers.xc. The changelog also mentions this. This hopefully might help you.

I'm lucky as I rarely experience it in my own config (I currently have markers enabled). If I do crash, it is only during battle exit (usually if I leave immediately after being destroyed. So far never, if I let the battle play out). Minor problem for me. It would be worse if it happened during battle. Knock on wood.

I am never able to find anything of note in the logs. So troubleshooting isn't really an option. At least for me.

As for your vanilla WoT client with no mods at all and still crashing, that would be a WG issue to tackle. Removing your client cache before install could be an option?

I wish you luck!

Edited by SmashPuppet

Short link

but the issue was happening prior to all this years updates and patches .. I will do it anyway .. are we just talking about turning off the target markers in Aslains XVM or editing the markers.xc file ?

just for interests sake, on a fresh system, how would you go about installing WOT and xvm .. I know it sounds stupid but if there is nothing wrong with my system (that I can find), then it must be me that is doing something wrong ..

Short link
50 minutes ago, timbo2410 said:

but the issue was happening prior to all this years updates and patches .. I will do it anyway .. are we just talking about turning off the target markers in Aslains XVM or editing the markers.xc file ?

just for interests sake, on a fresh system, how would you go about installing WOT and xvm .. I know it sounds stupid but if there is nothing wrong with my system (that I can find), then it must be me that is doing something wrong ..

I understand how this can be frustrating. I began having issues with crashes during the last Halloween update for WoT . I ended up taking a default config and completely re-configuring it again from scratch. This might not have anything to do with much, but I suspected that after using the same config for many years, and even after following the changelog and making the proper edits to adapt, I may have missed the odd thing here and there. It's called cruft. Perhaps Aslain's may also have cruft hidden away as well. I don't know.

After I did the rewrite, my issues were gone! =) Until 0.9.21.x was pushed out. =( The crashes were back when using XVM but happen only during battle exit. Which is a lot better than during battle. My vanilla client has always been stable.

Anyway, that is my own story. Just sharing to help shed a little light perhaps.

As far as installing: I would clear your game cache (google has plenty of directions on this), Run a client integrity check via the launcher (no need to re-install if you just did that already).

Install your choice of config as usual (I'm assuming you use Aslain's modpack installer).

Use notepad++ and open up the markers.xc file. Change "enabled" to "false" if it isn't already. Note that some configs still use the old "useStandardMarkers" instead of "enabled". Haha. Confusing I know... =) If you see "useStandardMarkers", change it to "enabled".

Like so:

2017-12-17.png.21275451e92755fe61634d38d744ef6b.png

And that's about it. Apart from that, I don't think there is much else.

Cheers!

Edited by SmashPuppet

Short link
Just now, Jerryfer said:

Well, I have markers disable now, but still experience crashes when leaving battle.

=( We will have to wait. At least the bug is kind enough to not do anything until after the battle is done. ;) A polite bug. hehe

Short link

yes mine has - use standard client vehicle markers ...  they are set to "false" at the moment each time i exit a game it crashes straight away

Short link
1 hour ago, timbo2410 said:

yes mine has - use standard client vehicle markers ...  they are set to "false" at the moment each time i exit a game it crashes straight away

It probably won't help, but you should update the file to use "enabled": false, instead of "useStandardMarkers": false,

Prior to the update, "useStandardMarkers": false, meant to use the XVM markers, which we don't want.. I don't think "useStandardMarkers" is valid anymore. Use "enabled" instead.

Short link

This is what I have:

/**
 * Over-target markers. All settings moved to separate files.
 * Маркеры над танками. Все настройки вынесены в отдельные файлы.
 */
{
  "markers": {
    // enable - use standard client vehicle markers.
    // false - использовать стандартные маркеры клиента.
    "enabled": false,

Short link

I also seem to have an issue with staying logged in to XVM as well .. I can log in and it's fine but if i refresh the page then I have to log back in again?

Short link